Search This Blog

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Eric and the Overwhelming Depression



Everything is falling apart all around us and that scares the shit out of me.  Disease, famine, wars and if that’s not enough now the planet seems to be after us too.  Drought, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, fires and have you heard of a gustnado (Google it, that is some scary wind).  Now I’m not going to pretend like all these things haven’t been happening all along and I’m certainly not proclaiming the end is near (although my pastor has been hinting for a few years that he thinks it is, who knows? I don’t).  It just seems to me that these things are either happening more often or I’m just paying more attention than I used too (is that too or to? Help me Google you are my only hope). 
When I was a kid we had chapel every Wednesday or Friday or something like that, who can remember?  We would have guest speakers and one of the speakers, whose name I can’t remember, said something that stuck with me.  He was a preacher who would obviously prepare his sermons during the week by writing down the notes.  He told us he would find that the people who he believed would be most affected by the message would run into trouble on the way to church and often times not even make it in.  He believed that demons or the devil himself would be reading the notes so he started keeping them in his head.  What? They can read too? This has freaked me right out for like 14 years or so.  So much so that I don’t even like voicing my fears just in case those bastards are around listening in.  I know they’re reading this right now.
Every time I get excited about the possibility of making my life better (diet, writing, learning a new language, etc…) something disastrous happens somewhere in the world and I get depressed and say “screw it, what’s the point?”  This is probably not the best attitude to have but it’s so depressing.  I wish I could feel some sort of peace but it’s hard to ignore that most everything sucks.
This didn’t really have point other than to depress you too. You are welcome.

Eric Anderson  

1 comment:

  1. Nope, you didn't depress me. There are times that if I dwell on it too much...watch the news too much or whatever that I can get fearful too! I understand. It is frightening. I have learned to express my fears, anxiety, worries to Abba. It doesn't always go away instantly but there is some comfort in reminding myself that I have a heavenly Father who knows all that is happening. Its time like these I am reminded of the scripture where Jesus says not to worry...I think it's Matt 6. That He feeds the birds....how much more valuable am I than they? There really isn't a "quick fix"...its a journey...a process...where you learn who Abba really is to you and learn to trust Him more with your life and it's outcome. I don't have it all down...just sharing what I've experienced thus far. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete