Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Eric and the Hypochondria II


I’m not crazy, I swear, although I guess that might be something a crazy person would say.  Last time I brought up this subject I was waiting on a doctor’s appointment, so about 4 ½ weeks ago.  I went to see the doctor that Monday and explained the whole headache/head pain situation.  He said that it can’t be sinuses because there are no sinuses in that part of your skull.  He didn’t think it was a tumor but just to be sure he scheduled me for an MRI on Thursday (Thursday!?! Really, Doc?!  I could be dead by Thursday, my head hurts now!). So I carried on for four days and worried and prayed (sort of, prayer is not my strongest point).  Thinking what if I can’t fit in the MRI machine, what if it is a tumor, what if it isn’t, what else could it be, what if it’s worse, what does Google have to say about all of this?
Thursday comes and the headache is still there so I go to the hospital and wait…and wait…and wait…I hear people talking in the hall about calling a repairman and something’s wrong and this has never happened before and frantic whispering that I can’t understand and I wait…2 hours later the tech comes out and apologizes to me and the other people waiting with me.  He explained the machine broke down and they had to call the fix it guy and blah blah blah it’ll be 15 more minutes.  Awesome, it’s not like I have a job to be at or anything.  I know it’s not his fault but someone could have at least let us know what was going on.  So I get in the room and I have to remove all metal from my person (glasses, wedding ring [which was really hard to get off], etc…).  As I had suspected it was somewhat difficult to jam my fat ass into the tiny little tube but there’s little I can do about that right now.  If you’ve never been inside an MRI machine you should know that it’s very loud and, for me anyway, very cramped.  I get out after 20 minutes or what felt like 3 days and try my best to interpret what the pictures mean while I put my shoes, glasses, and coat back on.  The tech looks at me and says “are you alright?” to which I respond “not really”.  Then he tells me I should call the dr. and ask him to call the hospital and examine the results, but today is dr. jones’ day off so I know that I have to wait.
The next day was donate blood day at work, something that I’ve never done before but I don’t have a problem with needles and I’ve always been under the assumption that getting rid of some old blood is good for you(who knows).  When you donate blood you have to fill out quite a bit of paperwork and answer a bunch of questions about your history, medical and otherwise.  The first question they ask is “do you feel healthy?” wow, is that a good question? No but it’s just my brain so it should be alright, right?  The dr.’s office called me about noon and Lane told me that the results came out clean.  No tumor, no signs of MS (what I wasn’t even worried about that, now I am), everything’s good. Great, awesome, that’s the best news I’ve heard all…wait, what the hell is wrong with me?  The dr. said a little bit of sinusitis showed up so I should take antibiotics and come back in week or so.  I thought he said my sinuses weren’t in that part of the skull.  They’re not, but just take the medicine. Fine, so I took the antibiotics for ten days and on the tenth day I went back to the doctor.
I told him that I thought the headache was 75% better at that point but I could still feel the irritation if I thought about it. Here’s an idea, don’t think about it.  Easier said than done, doc.  He decided to change my blood pressure medicine and see what happens in a month.  I was skeptical to say the least, but he’s the doctor.  Also, he said that it can’t be a pinched nerve because they don’t affect your brain.  Fine, just shoot down all my theories (and the theories of all the “doctors” I work with).  Four days and 3000 Google searches later I decide that the Prilosec has to be the problem.  I call the dr. and let him know what I’ve discovered and he tell me “fine, stop taking it”.  So I stopped taking it, and it’s been about a week and ½ and the headache/ head pain thing is all but gone( I can still kind of feel something but I’m just hoping it’s going to go away eventually).  Yesterday I woke up and it was back and worse than it ever was before.  I’ll give you my theories on that later.

Eric Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment