Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

Eric and the Excuses


So, you want to be a writer? Step one: write something, Step two: write something else, and Step three: DON’T QUIT!!!!!.
I’ve been trying to write for two weeks now and I’ve even gone so far as to start five separate essays/pages/blog entries/whatever these things are and just stopped for multiple reasons.  I’ve been kind of depressed about my health issues and my job is getting a little more stressful but those are just excuses right?  I mean this weekend alone I watched literally ten straight episodes of Veronica Mars on Netflix (the end of the first season and the beginning of the second).  The worst part about that is that I’ve already seen every episode of that show.  The last couple of years I’ve been drained mentally and I can’t really explain it.  I don’t want to do anything but watch television and play on the computer/iPod/iPhone.  I used to love playing video games, mostly on my Xbox 360 but also the Wii and DS, but something happened in January of 2008.  I discovered MySpace (I know I was a little behind, and by the way, thanks Jeromy) which quickly led to Facebook.  Facebook has these retarded button pushing “games” that require you to push a button and then come back later and push another button and repeat.  For some reason I have become addicted to these stupid things and they have made me completely brain dead.  I don’t even read anymore.
Here’s how bad it is.  I will put my iPhone down, close my computer and start watching TV., about 2 ½ minutes into a show I’ll check my phone or open my laptop and start pushing stupid buttons while half way watching TV. at the same time.  If we go anywhere I’ll check my phone about 10.37 million times.  I know these things are idiotic and that they are ruining my life but I just have to keep pushing the button, like Desmond on Lost.  Every now and then I’ll make the decision to cut down to just one game and that works for a little while but I’ll slowly get sucked back into the retardedness.  I’m working on a theory that somehow Farmville has all this button mashing connected to something evil that we’re all playing into like we’re all plugged into the matrix and contributing to the destruction of mankind.
I know it’s sounds silly to make excuses for not playing video games like I’m just giving up one time wasting thing to do another time wasting thing but video games are really important to me.  I’ll have these thoughts sometimes about cancelling the cable and Netflix and the internet and all the things that distract me from do something that could actually lead to my life being better but then I talk myself out of it.  The kid needs TV. because if she doesn’t have anything to watch then we’ll have to actually spend time with her. What?!?! Don’t judge me I’m tired.
Okay now you’ve heard the excuses, health, stress, Facebook, iPhone, tired, Veronica Mars, etc…  It’s time for me to do something about it.  They say that recognizing the problem is the first step, right?  It’s time to focus on important substantial things that’s have an actual lasting effect on my life.  I don’t know I am pretty tired.

Eric Anderson

P.S. I truly am sorry if I offended anyone by posting their picture on Facebook without their permission.  If you want I will take them down.

P.P.S. Veronica Mars is awesome and never should have been cancelled ever.

P.P.P.S. Zynga games is the matrix and it’s harnessing power from our slowly dying souls

No comments:

Post a Comment